Teams Gear up For Invictus Games in Toronto
For local punters, any major international sporting tournament provides a wealth of betting opportunities both big and small. The 2017 Invictus Games will be no exception. Established by Prince Harry, the Invictus Games are an international sporting event for all wounded, ill or injured servicemen or woman. This includes both veterans and those currently serving.
Inspired by his trip to Colorado and the Warrior Games in 2013, Prince Harry wanted to use the power of sport to inspire recovery and rehabilitation to injured service personnel. The result was the formation of the Invictus Games where sportsmen and woman could compete on an international level in a range of adaptive sports. In May 2016, it was announced that Toronto would host the 2017 Invictus Games.
The games will officially commence on the 23rd of September 2017 and run until the 30th of September. The week-long sporting competition will see a total of 550 athletes from 17 nations compete in a total of 12 adaptive sporting events. Adaptive sport or Parasport is a term used to describe a competitive sport for disabled individuals. This year, there the number of sports has expanded to a total of 12 with Golf becoming the latest addition.
2017 Invictus Games Sport Categories
The 2017 Toronto Invictus Games will showcase the best servicemen and woman athletes from around the world. The following sports will feature at the games:
- Archery – Both physically disabled and able bodied competitors compete in the same event. Competitors can shoot from a standing or sitting position while aiming at their target.
- Athletics – Athletics at the Invictus Games will consist of track, jumping and throwing events. Competitors will be classed according to their levels of ability.
- Driving Challenge – Two participants from each country must work in unison to navigate their vehicle through a series of gates.
- Golf – Modified courses for disabled athletes
- Indoor Rowing – Taking place on indoor machine simulators, the rowing event is a test of speed power and synchronisation.
- Powerlifting – Competitors lye in the bench press position lifting ever increasing weights.
- Road Cycling – This is a Criterium event where athletes compete over a set course.
- Sitting Volleyball – In this version of the game, players must bet sitting on the ground when the ball is hit.
- Swimming – This event included both the team and individual competition with the four main strokes.
- Wheelchair Basketball, Wheelchair Tennis and Wheelchair Rugby – Played with classic rules on indoor hardwood floors.